SMG Director of Finance in Providence, Rhode Island
POSITION: Director of Finance
REPORTS TO: General Manager
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities, has an excellent and immediate opening for the Director of Finance for SMG/Rhode Island Convention Center & Dunkin Donuts Center. Responsible for planning and directing all aspects of financial analysis and accounting activities for the complex personally or through subordinate supervisors, including budget preparations and various audits. The Director of Finance will also oversee the Box Office and Purchasing departments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Assists in the development and implementation of facility goals and priorities relating to financial management, budget, accounting, purchasing, and/or payroll in compliance with State and Federal law, and SMG policies and procedures.
- Monitors SMG compliance with all provisions of the management contract.
- Maintains contact with SMG's Risk Management Department and Insurance broker for coordination of appropriate coverage.
- Reviews all contracts for client, events, subcontractors, food and beverage or concessionaires.
- Reviews and/or prepares event settlements.
- Reviews and executes all checks and deposits; reviews daily cash receipts and disbursements.
- Monitors and projects daily cash flow; invests excess cash as needed.
- Reviews all purchasing of capital assets, office supplies and facility supplies.
Develop and implement all financial reporting, including:
Prepares financial statements for the Client and SMG Corporate, and other financial reports, including monthly statements, Annual Budget and Annual Report.
- Directs the installation and maintenance of accounting records to show receipts and expenditures.
- Directs the maintenance of general and subsidiary ledgers, accounts receivable, revenue distribution, depreciation, cost, property, and operating expenses, and insurance records.
- Analyzes financial performance and cost analyses for all departments; prepares monthly financial statements, recommends appropriate actions/changes in order to meet business goals.
- Prepares statements and reports of estimated future costs and revenues.
- Directs internal audits involving review of accounting and administrative controls.
- Coordinates preparation of Client or external audit materials and financial reporting; implements recommendations of Client as requested
- Coordinates year-end report of fiscal performance for the General Manager's report.
- Directs the installation and maintenance of any new accounting, timekeeping, payroll, inventory, property, and other related procedures and controls.
- Reviews financial statements with management personnel.
- Participates in union labor contract administration; maintains effective working relationship with union representatives.
- Acts as Manager on Duty as required.
Manages the Finance, Accounting, Box Offices and Purchasing departments. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Directly supervises the Finance Department employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with SMG's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding; disciplining employees in conjunction with Human Resources; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- B.S. in Accounting or Finance from a four-year college or university
- 5 to 7 years experience in public accounting and/or financial management at a supervisory level or as department head
- CPA a plus
Skills and Abilities
Extensive knowledge of general and cost accounting
Excellent math skills; high aptitude for figures
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and organizational ability
Ability to work with and maintain highly confidential information required
Effective supervisory skills
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have extensive knowledge of accounting software, spreadsheets and word processing software.
Ability to prioritize multiple projects and meet strict deadlines
Ability to work under minimal supervision
Ability to work flexible hours in addition to normal business hour
Must have professional attitude and appearance
Some travel required
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to move around the facility; to stand for long hours during events; talk and hear. This position may require work inside or outside of the building, as needed by events.
The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
Apply online at our SMG Job Board
Recruiter -- Nicole LaFratta
SMG -- Rhode Island Convention Center & Dunkin Donuts Center
1 LaSalle Square, Providence, RI 02903
Applicants that need reasonable accommodations to complete the application process may contact 401-572-3528.
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled